- In a pot on medium heat (or instant pot ‘sauté mode), add some cooking oil then the sliced onions, cook until slightly browned
- Rub salt and pepper onto the pieces of short rib then add to the pot and sear each sides for 2 minutes so that the meat is sealed
- Optional: add the red wine into the pot and let it sizzle and reduce for a few minutes.
- Separately, mix the stock cube with hot water
- Pour the stock into the pot and close the lid to cook. Instant pot on high pressure cooker mode for 30 mins. Crock pot / cast iron on initially medium then low heat for 3 hours until it becomes soft and tender – usually the meat might separate itself and fall off the bone (remember to check in periodically and add a bit of water if needed as water evaporates much quicker using normal pots than pressure cookers).
- Once done, remove the lid and let it simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes (sauté mode for instant pot) to reduce the broth and let it thicken
- Optional: Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the gravy, you can keep simmering until it’s fully reduced to a thick consistency or add a bit of corn flour or plain flour mixed with some water (about 1tsp of flour (5g) and 1 tbsp of water (15ml)) to help thicken.
- Once done, it’s ready to serve! I paired this with some homemade creamy mash as well as some crispy kale (boiled/steamed then briefly put into the broiler for a few minutes) and pomegranate seeds for extra texture.
Tip: If you want to make ragu, add some passata or chopped tomatoes (I’d say 2 boxes which is ~ 800g-1kg) into the pot at step 5 before closing the lid to cook (adjust the amount accordingly to the size of your pot, mine can contain 6L)