Easy recipe to get the CRISPIEST Taiwanese XXL Fried Chicken Cutlet.
Chicken & Marinade:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking wine (shaoxing)
- 5 tbsp plain flour (or just use corn flour for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp corn flour (a.k.a “corn starch” in the US)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup tapioca starch (or potato flour)
- Butterfly the chicken breast then using a meat mallet or the back of your knife, flatten the chicken. Use a rolling pin to press it down further
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together then soak the chicken and leave it in for 20 minutes
- Prepare the wet batter by mixing the plain flour, corn starch, baking powder and water together. Set aside some tapioca starch as well.
- Dip the marinated chicken into the wet batter then generously cover it in tapioca starch.
- Heat up some oil in a pan (reaching about ~180 degrees C) then fry your chicken for about 5 minutes on each side or until it becomes golden and crispy.
- Add any extra seasoning if your choice – my favourite are usually: chilli powder, plum powder, seaweed
- Cuisine: Taiwanese