Super tasty & crispy. Wait until you hear that CRUNCH…!! If you know me in real life there’s a high probability that I would have tried to lure you into getting Taiwanese fried chicken in Chinatown with me at some point hah… This is one of my absolute favourite snacks. It’s super crispy and doesn’t taste oily AT ALL. Sharing with you my recipe for the CRISPIEST at home. Visit this post on my Instagram to HEAR how crispy it is and watch a quick 1 minute step by step on how to cook this!Print
Taiwanese XXL Fried Chicken Breast
Easy recipe to get the CRISPIEST Taiwanese XXL Fried Chicken Cutlet.
- Yield: 2 1x
- Cuisine: Taiwanese
Chicken & Marinade:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking wine (shaoxing)
- 5 tbsp plain flour (or just use corn flour for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp corn flour (a.k.a “corn starch” in the US)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup tapioca starch (or potato flour)
- Butterfly the chicken breast then using a meat mallet or the back of your knife, flatten the chicken. Use a rolling pin to press it down further
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together then soak the chicken and leave it in for 20 minutes
- Prepare the wet batter by mixing the plain flour, corn starch, baking powder and water together. Set aside some tapioca starch as well.
- Dip the marinated chicken into the wet batter then generously cover it in tapioca starch.
- Heat up some oil in a pan (reaching about ~180 degrees C) then fry your chicken for about 5 minutes on each side or until it becomes golden and crispy.
- Add any extra seasoning if your choice – my favourite are usually: chilli powder, plum powder, seaweed