I bought some Spam luncheon meat at the beginning of the lockdown thinking that if the world was gonna go into total lockdown, I can bust it out and survive for a few days. OK I bought one tin, that’s not gonna solve much – but in the end, it did push me to try some new recipes with it whilst at home. Never actually cooked with it before, and to be honest, I was always. repelled by the idea of canned meat… But now I’m kind of HOOKED! Spam recipes are usually super simple but full of intense meaty umami flavour.
Made some Spam Musubi, which is a popular Hawaiian snack comprising of rice, luncheon meat and wrapped with some Nori / seaweed sheets. They’re super tasty and easy to make – ideal snack for a picnic!Print
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 Can of SPAM luncheon meat (340g)
- 2 Nori sheets (seaweed sheets)
- 1 bowl Sushi Rice (16 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Cook some sushi rice beforehand, we’ll need about 1 bowl worth of rice, remember to add sushi vinegar and mix well at the end
- Cut the SPAM into 8 even slices. Do not discard the tin, we will use it later on to shape the musubi
- Mix the mirin, soy sauce and sugar together until well combined then soak the Spam slices in there until they are evenly covered.
- In a heated non-stick pan (I didn’t oil it because the spam is quite fatty already), sear the marinated spam slices for about 3 minutes on each side until they brown and turn into a nice rich red colour.
- Now we’re going to assemble: using your cleaned spam tin, line the inside with some cling film, add about 1.5~2 tablespoons of rice then press it down the bottom of the tin so that it takes shape. Add the slice of spam in and press it down further. Pull the cling film with the rice and spam inside out of the tin. You should now have a nicely shaped rice + spam.
- Cut the nori sheets into strips of about 5cm wide.
- Wrap the nori strip around the spam and rice that you just shaped and seal it using a tiny bit of water.
That’s it! Now enjoy 🙂
Thanks For Sharing this amazing recipe. My family loved it. I will be sharing this recipe with my friends. Hope the will like it.